Friday, April 16, 2010

Tomatoes!!!! (And More!)


For most people, April 15th is tax day.  For me, it was plant tomatoes day!  I received my  google calendar reminder that on April 15th, I was to plant tomatoes and Gaillardia flowers indoors.  And so I did.  

I have three varieties of tomato.  Big Boy, Red Tumbling Tom Tomatoes (a cherry size variety), and Mr. Stripey (an heirloom that is red with yellow 'stripes' throughout the flesh and skin.  Also sweeter than regular tomatoes).  Since I had WAY too many tomatoes last year, I have only planted two of each kind this year.  I had eight plants that survived in my garden last year, and only one of them was a Mr. Stripey.  This year there should be less cherry tomatoes, and since Mr. Stripey is not as prolific as the other two species, that should help reduce the over all harvest.  I am also working on being pro-active in preventing Late Blight, a fungus, from affecting my plants.  Last year the blight exploded across Southern Wisconsin (as well as several other states) threatening the commercial potato crop, and killing many a backyard gardener's tomato crop.  Unfortunately my local Agriculture/ Horticulture extension office has yet to say anything about Late Blight yet this spring, but it seems to be showing up rather consistently so they are bound to say something soon. 

I should probably mention that I did plant some extra tomato plants for my mom's garden as well, but those won't be in my backyard.  :-)  And speaking of my mom, I started some Arizona Sun Gaillardia plants for her today as well.  
Arizona Sun Gaillardia is a perennial with red blooms ringed in yellow (as seen in the photo at left).  This gives the blooms an orange-y appearance.  I have started them indoors, because doing so allows them to bloom their first year from seed without a cold period.  Otherwise you would only have a green plant with no flowers the first year.  I have also been a little confused by the terms 'annual' and 'perennial'.  I always want the ones you plant once and then enjoy for years to be "annual".  As in an annual event, but alas that is not the case.

And not to feel left out, I planted (indoors) a few perennials of my own as well: Origami Mix Aquilegia.  They have 3 inch blooms, and continue to bloom for 12 weeks!  They are supposed to attract butterflies and hummingbirds, so I will have to let you know if it works.  Picture below for reference.  


1 comment:

  1. I remember Mr. Stripy well from your last garden. I'm glad he will be back again this year. I really like your indoor plantings as well. Are you planning to plant your mom's garden plot as well as yous? I know she would welcome the assistance.

    ReplyDelete