Monday, March 22, 2010

USDA Hardiness Zones

I thought I should comment on the USDA Plant Hardiness Zones, so that people know why I am planting all this stuff indoors and at the particular times I am doing so. I am following the planting guidelines for my area, which is zone 5 on the USDA plant hardiness map. If you do a search for the USDA hardiness map, you will most likely find several difficult to interpret maps. Although there are many places where it is obvious what zone one resides, there are also several locations where it is extremely difficult to tell. Most local garden stores will have that information for you, but you can also look it up online. I used a link on my local plant store's website which allows you to type in your zip-code. (http://www.jungseed.com/zonelookup.asp) Other sites, such as local horticulture and agriculture extensions, also list zip-code maps. These make it much easier since they simply tell you what zone you are in. That way you don't have to guess! Planting at appropriate zone times helps ensure plant survival when transplanted and allows full germination and harvest of plants that may otherwise die, or not fruit, if planted directly outdoors.

No comments:

Post a Comment