Wednesday, May 5, 2010

More plantings! Final Indoor

I am finally caught up with my indoor plantings.  All the seeds I plant from now on will be outdoor plantings!  Yesterday I planted (indoors) Mini Soloist Chinese Cabbage, two small types of pumpkin (Batwing and Sweet Sugar Pie), an 'ice-box' watermelon called Sugar Baby, and some Dill.  All of the above can be planted directly in the ground without starting them indoors, but I wanted to give them a head start.  The dill in particular has no "indoor" instructions, and the only reason I have started it indoors is so I can place the plants more accurately.

Last year I started everything, except the root plants, indoors.  That is fine, however some plants do not transplant well, and it is best to stick with the instructions of in-ground planting.  Because the planting season in Wisconsin is shorter than other locations, I like to start the watermelon and pumpkins, which need hot weather and soil to grow, indoors.  It ensures that you can actually harvest ripe watermelons and pumpkins before the fall frost!

No comments:

Post a Comment