Monday, May 17, 2010

Pole Beans, Sunlight, and More!

To my delight the sun came out today and STAYED!  Yay!  They predict at least three more days of sun before the possibility of more rain.  It was a bit windy today as well, which helped aid the drying process.  I am happy to report I will finally be able to get out and do some more work in the garden!

That being said, I am a little distraught over the current state of my leeks and cabbage babies.  They were supposed to be in the ground May 1st, but due to my out of town trip and the crazy weather, I have not had a chance to get them all in.  They are outside in their peat pots, but they don't look so good.  I am not sure if it is a lack of nutrients, or space, or what.  I did manage to get three cabbage baby plants in the ground out in the garden, but they look about the same as their peat pot brethren.  If anyone has any suggestions, let me know!

This brings us to the pole beans!  I was able to plant green beans on one of the icky weather days.  They have not come up yet, but I suspect they have been waiting for some sunlight.  We will see if they start coming up in the next few days, and if not, I will plant more.  I also planted some purple Alyssum flowers in the flower box behind our mailbox, and they have sprouted!  They did great last year, and it was nice to have some pretty flowers to view, especially if all we got in the mail was junk.  I put down some wildflower seed today in our backyard as well.  Will update you when that starts sprouting.

Next on my agenda is to get the watermelon, pumpkins, zucchini, and tomatoes in the ground.  All of them are in seedling form except the zucchini.  I may hold off on planting the tomatoes until they are a bit bigger, but the watermelon and pumpkins are itching to get their vines going.  Not surprisingly, they grow rather fast.  I have some updated photos, but I decided to share them as a link this time.  There were just a bit too many!  Feel free to check them out!

  ^---- Click Me For Pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment